Sorrymate.com Racing

Round 8 of the BSB National Pirelli Superstock 600 championship was held under near perfect conditions at Thruxton last weekend. Team Sorrymate.com arrived Thursday afternoon and quickly set up ready for Friday’s practice session. Kurt has never rode Thruxton before and Matt is almost back to full fitness after an earlier crash at Oulton Park during a test.

Matt was straight out of the box in Friday’s practice setting the 14th quickest time out of the 40 entries, ‘It wasn’t long into the session when I matched the times I did here last year, it is a tricky circuit as tyre management is very important due to the abrasive surface and track layout’. The bike setup was good and Matt was confident he could go quicker. Kurt spent the first session of the weekend learning the circuit and was highly surprised at how quickly he got up to speed. Both of the bikes were prepared for the evening qualifying session and the riders were keen to set some fast laps.

Qualifying 1 was one of the team’s best of the season; Matt set a very impressive 7th position, only being knocked out of the top 5 in the dying stages. Kurt continued to figure out the very technical circuit going another second faster than before which put him in 30th position. Team spirits were very high after Q1 and the evening consisted of de-briefs, track walks and analysing data in preparation for Q2.

It was Kurt’s turn to be on fire in qualifying 2 as his time was almost 2 seconds quicker than Q1 moving him up the field to 24th place. Such is the pace of stock 600s this year that only 2 seconds covered the top 25 bikes. Matt’s qualifying was not so good as a technical problem with the bike meant that Matt didn’t get out on track until the last 10 minutes of the session. Very frustrating for the team and rider, Matt tried his best with the little time he had but couldn’t beat his previous time, as a result of this he dropped down the field to 19th place. We had a practice later that afternoon which gave us time to sort out the issue with Matt’s bike and he was soon back up to pace.

Race day again was perfect weather, both bikes had been stripped cleaned and prepared for the 14 lap race at 2:15pm. Matt’s start wasn’t his best and Kurt held his position, the riders came through in 23rd and 24th place for the opening lap of the race. Slowly but surely Matt picked off the oppositions and climbed up to an impressive 15th position and was involved in a huge battle with 6 other riders for 10th position, unfortunately, on lap 10 Matt was tagged from behind entering turn 4 and went down, a huge blow for the team as this was looking to be our best finish of the season.

Kurt’s race was a lot less dramatic; he had just worked his way up to 19th place when he took too much kerb exiting the last corner on lap 8 which resulted in a high side, both riders were out in quick succession. Kurt and Matt were assessed at the medical center and released with no serious injuries.

The team’s mechanic Josh said ‘of course it was a disappointing outcome to the race after such a great weekend but it is all part of racing and we can’t forget the highs gained from this round. This only makes us more determined for the next one’. Overall a really positive weekend for the team despite the crashes, Kurt’s first visit to the circuit was very educational and he now has a good understanding of Thruxton ready for next season’s round. Matt showed us he is now back up to full speed and can run the pace of the top 10 riders. Cadwell Park is next and the team will be hard at work getting the bikes ready to take the challenge to the oppositions.

A massive thank you to the whole team and all of our loyal sponsors and supporters who make racing possible.