Mike Di Meglio will start from the pole position on Sunday’s MotoE race. The former MotoGP riders took all three of the top spots during Saturday’s competitive E-Pole qualifying session.
The EG 0,0 Marc VDS rider set an incredible lap time of 1m 35.182s. This narrowly beats Belgian Xavier Simeon (Avintia Esponsorama Racing) by a mere 0.01 seconds. Great Britain’s Bradley Smith took third position riding his One Energy Racing bike.
About Di Meglio
Place of birth: Toulous
Date of Birth: 17 January 1988
Jesko Raffin due to start fourth
Swedish rider Jesko Raffin (Dynavolt Intact GP) will be starting the race from the fourth position on the grid, ahead of current championship leader Niki Tuuli (Ajo MotoE) and Spain’s Hector Garzo (Tech 3 E-Racing).
Italian racer Matteo Ferrari headed up the third row in seventh, followed by the winner of the 250cc and Moto2 races, Alex de Angelis and Brazilian Eric Granado.
The top 10 was rounded by Maria Herrera
The top 10 was rounded out by Openbank Ángel Nieto Team’s Maria Herrera, just over a second off pole-sitter Di Meglio.
Unfortunately, the Italian racer Mattia Casadei, second in MotoE free practice on Friday, had a qualifying session to forget. Unfortunately, Casadei, crashed out at turn 3 of the Red Bull Ring. As a result, he will, therefore, start from the last place on Sunday.
The Qualifying results are as follows:
1. Mike Di Meglio (FRA), EG 0,0 Marc VDS, 1:35.182
2. Xavier Simeon (BEL), Avintia Esponsorama Racing, 1:35.193
3. Bradley Smith (GBR), One Energy Racing, 1:35.311
4. Jesko Raffin (SWI), Dynavolt Intact GP, 1:35.365
5. Niki Tuuli (FIN), Ajo MotoE, 1:35.385
6. Hector Garzo (ESP), Tech 3 E-Racing, 1:35.390
7. Matteo Ferrari (ITA), Trentino Gresini MotoE, 1:35.403
8. Alex de Angelis (SM), Octo Pramac MotoE, 1:35.774
9. Eric Granado (BRA), Avintia Esponsorama Racing, 1:35.888
10. Maria Herrera (ESP), Openbank Ángel Nieto Team, 1:36.266
For more motorcycle news from SorryMate, click here.